United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek, along with Nene Foxhall, EVP of communications and government affairs, and Mark Anderson, SVP of corporate and government affairs, have abruptly “resigned”. An effort to dethrone Smisek has been festering and the NJ Port scandal merely proved the breaking point. United Airlines has turned it’s back on it’s employees and customers, Change.org for over eight months, has had a petition drive to get CEO out. With the merger of United and Continental, Jeff Smisek made promises in front of Congress and to the employees: “Jobs would be safe from outsourcing, earned benefits would be protected, and service would not suffer.” After the merger, employee’s jobs were outsourced to contractors where United could pay less and provide fewer benefits. Over 40,000 retirees had their benefits stripped.
A filing Tuesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission described the terms of Smisek’s separation agreement: He’ll receive a separation payment in the amount of $4,875,000, and remain eligible for a pro-rated bonus. Smisek will have health insurance until his is eligible for Medicare, and maintain flight benefits and parking privileges for the remainder of his lifetime. He also gets to keep his company car.
Oscar Munoz, 56, was named United Airlines’ new CEO, Munoz previously served as President and Chief Operating Officer of CSX Transportation Building at 500 Water Street Jacksonville, Florida a Class I railroad which was formed in 1980 by the merger of Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries.
- President of CSX Corp. (railroad) from 02/2015 to 09/2015
- Chief Operating Officer of CSX Corp. from 02/2012 to 09/2015
- Executive Vice President from 01/2012 to 02/2015
- United Continental Holdings Board Member since 2010
- Continental Airlines Board Member since 2004
- Chief Financial Officer of CSX Corp. from 05/2003 to 02/2012.
- Worked for Coca Cola Enterprises, Coca Cola Company and USWest Communications, Inc.
- Senior Vice President of Finance & Administration of Qwest Communications International Inc. from 06/2000 to 12/2000
- BS in Business Administration from the University of Southern California in 1982
- MBA from Pepperdine University in 1986